As a matter of fact, one of the most popular uses for our bean bags is for your dogs.
A common question we are asked is: Are bean bags good for dogs?
Yes, the height of a bean bag makes it easier for your dog to stand after a rest. It can be the perfect bed for your dog, as it is more comfortable and far more durable than other types of beds.
Providing a bean bag for your beloved fur baby means you can give them all the benefits that a bean bag we as humans receive, including the long, peaceful and interrupted periods of sleep that they require… after all, there is a meaning behind the old saying “let sleeping dogs lie”.
Why are Bean Bags Good for My Dog?
Just like you, your dog needs a good night’s sleep to be on their best behaviour and live their healthiest life.
However, depending on the breed, age and personality of the dog, they can sleep and nap for up to 14 hours a day – probably what us people wish we could get away with on some days!
The reality is that, just like you, your dog probably has very specific sleeping habits, and if they were to be given a choice, they would sleep in the most comfortable spot available (hence why they always try and sneak into your room and jump on your bed!).
As such, your dog’s bean bag will be a place of warmth, cosiness, comfort and most all, security for them, in which they can get all the rest they so desperately need… and that is why your dog loves their bean bag.
There’s no doubt about it – your dog will love their bean bag. It will very quickly overtake any other bed they have as their favourite place jump onto, lay down on, snuggle in and sleep.
Just how much time they spend on their bean bag may fascinate you, so I will give you some insight as to why dogs will fall head over paws in love with a cosy, comfortable, warm bean bag.
In general, bigger breeds of dogs, such as Great Danes or German Shepherds, need more sleep – up to 18 hours per day. Smaller breeds of dogs such as Chihuahuas or Pomeranian can get away with up to 10 hours sleep per day. Also, some dogs will nap during the day purely out of boredom, whereas those that are trained to work, such as farm dogs or police dogs, will sleep less.
Your dog needs to get enough sleep to remain healthy – and that is were the saying “let sleeping dogs lie” came from.
They require uninterrupted REM (rapid eye movement) sleep – the phase of sleep where they have random and rapid movement of their eyes, as this helps them to restore their energy and relieve their stress.
If you wake your dog during this phase of sleep, they may unexpectedly – and accidentally – snap at you and even bite you. If your dog does not get enough sleep, their stress hormones will not be alleviated from their bloodstream and their attitude and behaviour will be affected, also causing them at times to act hostilely, aggressively or destructively whilst awake.
So please, let your dog’s get all the sleep they need for the sake of everyone’s stress levels involved.
Now, if you’ve ever watched your dog during the day, you might think that they can just lay down and sleep whenever they want, wherever they want, and however they want.
What are the Benefits of a Bean Bag for My Dog?
As well as assisting your dog to get a their much-needed sleep, a bean bag bed has further benefits for their health and happiness. These include:
• Bean bags are good for your dog’s joints – Sleeping on the floor, or any other hard surface, can cause your dog to have joint pain and arthritis. Older dogs may even have trouble falling asleep on the floor due to such joint problems. Save your dog from having any of these issues by providing them with a comfortable, cushioned bean bag bed.
• Bean bags keep your dog’s warm – As well as being a hard surface, the floor is also cold, which does not make it an easy place for your dog to sleep. Your dog needs a warm, cosy place to sleep, especially as they age, and they are having trouble with their joints. A bean bag bed will feel just like you are giving them a cuddle… that is, pure comfort.
• Bean bags can help prevent injuries – Continuously sleeping on the floor can give your dog callouses on their body, especially on their elbows or hips. The repeated pressure from sleeping on such a hard surface can also give your dog what is known as a hygroma, or a fluid-filled sac formed in their joints. If not treated, over time these can get infected. However, these injuries can all be prevented by providing your dog with padded bedding, such as a bean bag.
• Bean bags give your dogs their own space – Giving your dog their own bean bag bed is similar to you having your own room – they have their own space to sleep, with a sense of privacy and security. This allows them to get a better sleep, knowing they will have an uninterrupted rest.
• Bean bags are durable and versatile – If you choose the right material, such as Bliss Bean Bags Dog Bean Bags marine grade vinyl fabric, your dogs bean bag will endure all their scratching and biting and remain around your home for years. It’s versatility means it can be used indoors or outdoors – basically, as well as a bed it’s going to be your dog’s new best friend (apart from you of course).
• Bean bags are easy to keep clean – Once again, choose a high-quality material for your dog’s bean bag and you will find that it is stain resistant and easy to keep clean. The fabric that we choose to use is resistant to fleas – there are no soft fibres, so fleas are unable to breed.
• Bean bags help keep your dog clean – Have you ever put much thought into how dirty your floor may be?
That, regardless of how much your sweep, vacuum and mop, the floor is still full of dirt, dust and bacteria from you and your dog’s constantly trekking through the house in your shoes or with dirty paws?
When you start putting some thought into it, you realise how much cleaner bean bags are than the floor, and how having your dog sleep on a bean bag bed will actually help keep them and their fur clean.
What Are Bliss Bean Bags Best Dog Bean Bags?
Purchasing a bean bag for your dog is something that you should put a lot of thought into. After all, your dog will shed fur on them, they are going to scratch them, they will want to drag them both indoors and out and do whatever else it is that dogs do. So, you need to choose the best bean bag that is going to be resistant to a dog when he or she is not on their best behaviour.
At Bliss Bean Bags, we have gone above and beyond to create the ultimate bean bag for your dog. It is thought that a circular bean bag bed for your dog seems to hold their shape best, as they have fewer seams, making them incredibly resistant to all of your dogs scratching. We put our Round Bean Bag to the test over and over again with our trusty dog Bailey – whom we trust to be both charming and destructive – and it has remained intact for many years.
The Round Bean Bag is easy to clean, flea resistant, mould resistant, mildew resistant and waterproof so it can be used indoors and outdoors – we think it is the perfect bean bag for your beloved fur baby.
It comes in the below sizes;
Small – 60cm
Medium – 90cm
Large – 130cm
Would you like to sleep on the floor every night?
My guess is probably not. Please, don’t do it to your dog – especially when they need anywhere from 10 to 18 hours sleeping and napping a day to reduce stress levels and restore energy.
Let your fur babies get a better sleep with Bliss Bean Bags dog beds, which are not only highly beneficial to their sleeping patterns, but also their health and happiness.
We are so confident that our dog bean bag beds are an excellent investment, that they are so durable and long-lasting that they are covered by our Lifetime Warranty.
Vets have also mentioned that beds (being higher off the ground) make it easier for older dogs with soar joints. As there is less pressure from their weight.
If you’re sick of your dog chewing, scratching and all-out spoiling their current dog bed and having to throw the scruffy piece in the bin, try designing one of from our range made from marine grade vinyl, available in 16 different colours, today! After all, our philosophy is to sell you just one dog bean bag – unless, that is, you get a second dog.